So You Have A Podcast… Now What?
One the questions that I am asked most often is “How Do I Grow My Audience?” Many times it's phrased something like, “I've been podcasting for (insert number) of months/years and I only have (insert number) of people who are consistently downloading each of my episodes.”
Those who have been listening to Podcast Answer Man for a long time know that I really don't like the mindset behind that question. I'm all for growing our audience. However, I'd prefer to say, I've been podcasting for (insert number) of months/years and I've been blessed to grow my audience to a point where (insert number) people are consistently downloading each of my episodes, and I'm ready to take the reach of my show to a whole new level.
Remember that each of these “downloads” represents a person/human being. Do you know how many pastors would love to speak to 50, 100, or even 300 people, consistently, each and every week? I've often avoided going too deep into answering this question on Podcast Answer Man, in the past, due to the fact that I've always want to drive home the point that I feel strongly that the quality of the relationship you have with your audience/community is much more important than the quantity of people who download your show.
In this episode, I share two pieces of audio feedback from our community where I was asked how we can effectively market our podcast and grow our audience. In response, I shared the following items.
1. There is power when your show has a narrow niche focus.
2. I suggest only podcasting about things for which you are passionate about.
3. Before you record your first episode, you should know why are you podcasting in the first place. I recommend having a having a mission/purpose for your show.
4. Become crystal clear on exactly who your target audience is! Imagine your occupation was that of a bounty hunter. How hard would your job be if you were not given any clear description of the person you are supposed to be looking for. Same principle applies when trying to go out and find new people to listen to your show!
5. Build it and they will come does not, often, work in podcasting! Creating an amazing show is about 30% of the equation. The other 70% is marketing and relationship building.
6. Obviously, you should submit your podcast to podcast directories like iTunes, Zune, Blackberry, and Stitcher Radio.
7. Content Is King! Create high value content that people can't live without! It's an added bonus if your content is so great that they are compelled to share it with others.
8. Entertainment goes a long way. Don't Be Boring!!!
9. Keep it positive! The world is seeking hope and encouragement! Give it to them!
10. Be ENTHUSIASTIC! Don't do it more than what is natural for you though!
11. Prepare ahead of time. I spent more than two hours preparing for this episode, thirty minutes in post production, and over an hour on these show notes.
12. Audio Quality Is Queen! Remember that there are times when the Queen will trump the King! Many people, including myself, will not listen to your GREAT CONTENT if your audio quality is not that great!
13) Build relationships with your audience! Learn the first name, last name, and a MINIMUM of at least one other personal fact about AS MANY of the people who download your show as possible.
14. Include the voice of your audience in your show.
15. Thank members of your community publicly, both in your show and in your online efforts.
16. Establish and build meaningful relationships with other content creators in your niche/industry.
17. Create keyword rich titles, show notes, etc for your podcast. And all that other SEO junk. 🙂
18. Make Yourself newsworthy! http://PodcastAnswerMan.com/newsworthy
19. Interview others in your show.
20. Accept requests for being interviewed on other people's podcasts and blogs.
21. Consider a press release.
22. Participate in other online (and offline) communities where those in your target audience can be found.
23. Use social media to build authentic relationships with your audience and others.
24. Speak at events where your target audience can be found.
25. Educate your audience on the benefit of podcast subscriptions and teach them how to they can subscribe to your show. See http://PodcastAnswerMan.com/itunes
26. Create a mailing list! This allows you to keep in touch with those who may have fallen out of the habit of downloading or listening to your show for whatever reason.
Many books could be written about how to market a podcast and grow your audience. You see, your podcast is actually a product that you create. Once you have the product, it is at that point where the marketing of your product begins. You'll notice that most of what I have shared, at least early on, is focused on creating an amazing product that those who do find you will want to tell others about.
I just want to point out that, even if you have amazing content and amazing audio quality, you will still need to go out and promote/market your show if you want your audience to grow.
Random Plug of The Week
This week's random plug of the week goes out to the Your Website Engineer Podcast from Dustin Hartzler. It is no secret that I only recommend using WordPress for your web presence. Dustin's podcast and website is a gold mine of information to help you get the most out of your WordPress Experience.
Here are just a few episodes that I recommend that you check out:
– 061 – Hidden Features In WordPress
– 058 – How to Add an Admin User to the WordPress Database
– 056 – How to Create a Favicon for Your Website
– 043 – WordPress eCommerce Solutions
Facebook Interest Lists
Have you heard about the new Facebook Interest Lists feature? I hadn't heard about it until our gspn.tv Social Media Correspondent, Erik J. Fisher, brought it up for a topic to cover on this week's Social Media Segment.
Erik and I went through a great Hubspot Article that described how brands could benefit by making the most of this new feature. After our discussion I've determined that this new feature isn't something that would compel me to use Facebook any more than I already do. However, I know that there is a large percentage of the Podcast Answer Man community that do focus a lot of their engagement with their community through the Facebook platform.
I hope that the information provided on Facebook's Interest List feature was helpful to you. Please let me know in the comments section below what your feelings are about this new feature.
Podcamp Nashville April 14th
For those of you who live near Nashville TN or are willing to travel there for a sigle day Podcamp experience, this year's Podcamp Nashville is being held on Saturday, April 14th at the Cadillac Ranch (305 Broadway; Nashville, TN).
I will be attending and speaking at Podcamp Nashville this year. I'm working on putting together a panel session that will help those in attendance learn Why Your Business/Brand Needs To Launch A Podcast!. If you are able to come, I hope to see you there!
Register For BlogWorld Today!
If you are serious about your podcasting efforts, I highly recommend that you attend the leading podcast industry conference. I know for a fact that some very exciting things are going to be happening at this year's NYC event, relating to podcasting. If you haven't registered yet, feel free to use my affiliate link to get registered today. Use promo code GSPN10 for 10% off!
Blue Host Affiliate Signup
I want to send out a special word of thanks to the folks behind the following domains that were used to create a new hosting account with BlueHost with my Blue Host affiliate link recently. As you know, I earn a commission each time someone clicks through my link to sign up with Blue Host. So thank you!
Note: The fact that I have linked to these accounts is only to acknowledge that these folks have used my affiliate link to create a hosting account with BlueHost. These links are not an endorsement of any content that may be posted to these sites. If you ever recognize content blatantly offensive at any of these links, please let me know and I will be sure to evaluate and consider if the link should be removed from this post. These accounts are all brand new and may not be active yet. Also, it is possible that some of these domains were previously owned and my not have been transfered to BlueHost just yet.
PODCAST CONSULTING: I'm available for one on one podcast consulting and coaching. Whether you want someone to get everything set up for you or you just need a little help along the way, I'd love to work with you. Please take a look at my consulting/coaching options.
PODCAST VIDEO TUTORIALS: I also have a growing list of video tutorials that I have created based up on the the top things my clients have hired me to help them with. See the full list of tutorials by clicking here.
Did you find this information helpful? If so, please consider sending out the Tweet listed below:
— Cliff Ravenscraft (@GSPN) March 24, 2012
A Newsletter You'll Look Forward To
If you sign up for my newsletter, I promise to send you valuable thoughts, insights, tips, techniques and strategies that will help you take your message, your business and your life to the next level.